Monday, June 25, 2012

Speed/Redline Repeats

Since my long run was done on friday, I just ran an easy six on sunday to switch the workouts. It was a beautiful day though I was a bit sore from a bit too much saturday fun.

Today i decided to do my speed workout. The mileage for the week seems to be six and so I wanted to see if i could sustain a faster mile speed. I have begun to realize that I have been doing far too much extended leg heel running. I have been concentrating on shortening my strides a bit and really giving front foot and calves a workout. The speed increase is really incredible while the effort does not seem to be too much greater. The workout of choice today was a 2 speed miles....one slow jog/walk mile......rinse and repeat.

The course of choice today began from the lyon oaks golf course and followed the bike path down the road. The course is mildly hilly especially in the beginning. I pushed out feeling lethargic and slow. My pace was only about 7:15 for the first 1/4 mile to get warmed up. Luckily there are quite a few downhills more than uphills on the first mile. I finished mile 1 with a 6:44 pace which i was pleased about. I ended up seeing a few walkers and of course had to catch them. I was also feeling really good. I pushed out mile two in a 6:21 pace. I slowed down to a speed walk as I gasped for a bit. After a very slow jog to mile three I stopped to tie my shoes and took off for the second speed run. This time I ran more uphill. To my advantage though, I knew the course better on the way back so it actually did help a bit. My first mile there was 6:11 which I was pretty proud of, but that was a bit too fast. I started fighting with my mind whether to do mile two. The last 1/2 mile of that second mile is uphill and at times fairly steep. I did end up finishing it in 6:33. After the deathly slow job back to the car I felt pretty good. The two speed workouts were an improvement and I felt pretty darn good after each set.

On a side note I really have to make sure I am eating properly for this level of activity.....hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment