Monday, April 23, 2012

The Biker's Plumber Crack

What a proper way to start off my blog......I would just like to point out I currently plan to describe my running events in the first paragraph of each blog and go a bit more runner detail oriented in the second paragraph.

     Well after feeling sickish this morning I decided to have a work lunch time run. I ran up at kensington metro park, just a little four miler. When i began my run i was a bit nervous not because of my actual run....but because the battery was low on my garmin running watch. I began the run and as soon as i took off a larger motorcycle looking man cut me off in his tiny bicycle. As he rode in front of me i was taken back by such a big man on such a tiny bike. Then it hit me......his oh so delicious plumbers crack just staring me in the face. It was only in front of me for a 1/4 mile where a large uphill made him walk his bike up the hill and I passed him. It was a nice day for running and probably shouldn't have worn a long sleeve shirt. PS...I have never seen so many women jogging around with their dogs. I approve....i approve.

     This was one of those runs where you realize in the first 4 minutes....I just went out way too fast. I took off and after the first .05 miles i noticed i was at a 7:15 pace so of course i took off. When i looked again at mile.5 I had run my first half mile at 5:55 pace. WHOOPS. I planned on running this between 6:52-6:56 pace for four miles. This is the pace I figure i need to run the marathon at so i just wanted to start off training by getting an idea of a total race pace (and to prove to myself i could do it). Anyways I finished mile 1 with a 6:42 pace. I was happy, but dragging. At the end of a bit of a grueling mile two (strong wind) I slowed down a bit but still happy with a 6:55 second mile. THEN my watch died. Rookie mistake. I had an overall second half time thanks to my ipod, but without the pace meter pushing me i fell off my pace and basically died. It did not help i was slightly on the dehydrated side and much more uphill (many more hills than the grosse pointe run i did the other day). Anyways about 7:45 3rd and 7:15ish 4th.

Overall I am a happy camper! though my lungs feel like they are filled with water and a slight twinge in my left shin.


(any suggestions for this blog please let me know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment