Monday, April 30, 2012

Steve's Plan

    What a run! Flat surface, only a slight wind, and a great settup run! The weather was cloudy and sprinkled on and off, but i decided to take my geezer of a golden out for a bit of a run which then convinced me to go for a run. After spending a weekend in chicago, not sleeping and having possibly a bit too much fun I had taken a few days off to recover from my first week of running. Steve from the grosse pointe group decided that they would run a quick run today....1 warmup 3 burning miles and 1 cooldown. I decided to do the same. At about one mile in i felt great. At about 1.5 miles into the speed I was oh so ready to call it a day, but figured just make it to the second fast mile. When i did I continued to pick up my pace. At 2.25 of speed i was ready to stop and I passed through a school. Two youngins were just let out for recess a cute lil boy and girl they both screamed hi and were waving merrily! it was such a happy sight and carried my the next half mile until i could gut out the last quarter. Little kids and fans really do help. It was a great run alone, but just reminds you how nice company can be sometimes, and fans s ;).

     The run began with what i thought was a nice easy warmup mile. 8 minute pace of just easy coasting.What i turned the corner to start the first quick mile i ramped it up. This time, unlike my previous speedy miles workout, I controlled myself much better. Though i had the juice to go faster i kept it between 7 and 650. I finished up mile 1 at 652....(what i would love my marathon pace to be in 6 months...) I felt pretty ok to be honest so i picked up the pace. I kept it at about 640 for the next half. I decided to make a bunch of turns in this route which began to throw off my stride a bit which i think is a decent way to train. I finished mile two with 643 and began to struggle coming off my form a bit. It was the last speed mile and i actually sped up mile two so i said to myself....might as well really truck the last speed mile! I did. I started 630 then brought it down to 620. I started teetering back to 630 and then told myself i could not finish this mile slower than 630 so I did not. I sprinted ish the last 1/4 and really really died during it. I felt myself flailing a bit, but it was nice to push the lungs. Plus the weather was just perfect. I popped the last mile at 6:25 which was a great way to finish it up. I popped out one last mile at 8:15 which still felt like death and completed the workout.

    This week will have more running and not as many days off, but last week was definitely a great way to start it off! Tomorrow will be an Easy Easy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment